The Striptease - On a painting by Gabriel Max
Author André BretonPeople cited Nelly Kaplan, dite Belen, Hyeronimus Bosch, Abel Gance, Giorgione, Francesco Goya, Lancelot Lengyel, Gabriel Max, Ouen, Jean-Jacques Pauvert, Véronique, Georges Bataille, Marcel Duchamp, Paul Gauguin, Louis Poirier, dit Julien Gracq, Joyce Mansour, Geneviève Mayoux, Benjamin Péret, Paul Sérusier
Handwritten sheets intended for Le Surréalisme, même, undated, some on striptease, others on the painter Gabriel Max.
Le Surréalisme, même, the first issue of which appeared in October 1956, follows the principle of enquiries launched by the Surrealists in the 1920s and 1930s. In this working folder, which also includes a presentation of the journal, we can see a matrix of the different investigations launched in 1956 and 1957, one of which echoes Bataille's lecture on 'Eroticism and the Fascination of Death', given in February 1957. [Atelier André Breton website, 2005]
Autograph manuscripts, undated (1957).
- 1/2 page in-4° handwritten in ink by André Breton, with erasures and corrections, announcing the second issue of the journal Le Surréalisme, même, "a clear reference to Marcel Duchamp's title: The Bride Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors, Even."
- 1 page in-4° of the same text in its final state, handwritten by André Breton in ink.
- 1 page in-4°, titled ‘2 enquêtes surréalistes’ [Two surrealist enquiries], handwritten in blue ink by Breton, with erasures and corrections, of a text announcing the launch of two enquiries, one on "this form of performance - the striptease", the other on the work of the Czech painter Gabriel Max.
- 1 page in-4°, first draft, titled ‘Enquête’ [Enquiry], dated and signed by André Breton on the back of L'Étoile scellée [The Sealed Star] gallery letterheaded paper, relating to the work of Gabriel Max.
- 1 page in-4°, 2nd state of the previous text, handwritten in blue ink by Breton, containing the wording of the five questions of each of the two investigations, on the back of L'Étoile scellée gallery letterheaded paper.
- 2 pages in-4°, autograph text by Breton answering the two enquiries. [Auction Catalogue, 2003]
|Physical description||Ms - encres bleue et noire|
|Breton Auction, 2003||Lot 2442|
|Keywords||Investigations et Questionnaires, Painting, Reviews and Journals, Strip-tease, Surrealism|
|Categories||Andre Breton's Manuscripts|
|Set||[Archives] Surréalistes tchèques, [Enquêtes] Enquête sur le strip-tease, [AB's Manuscripts] Miscellaneous Manuscripts, [Archives] Le surréalisme, même|