"In his youth, he travelled about America and in Africa, became a voodoo priest..., a house painter and painter-decorator...He founded the group of Naive painters in Haiti, of which he is one of the most interesting. He was in touch with the painter Wifredo Lam and with André Breton. He participated in Surrealist exhibitions in Paris." (Paris, Musée national d'art moderne, Le Monde des Naïfs, 1964, s.p.)
"I will long see it in the place that it occupied, at the foot of the stairway leading to the exhibition rooms: the first painting of Hyppolite that I was lucky enough to see and which caused me both the sharpest and yet the most agreeable rush of emotion possible. It was at the "Centre d'art" in Port-au-Prince, in December 1945, in a charming old house on the rue de la Révolution. Here, an American, Mr. De Witt Peters, had taken the happy initiative of bringing together the works of a certain number of Haitian artists, most of them self-taught. He was also attempting to uncover locals gifted for painting by setting up an open studio-with paper and pencils put at the disposal of anyone who wanted to try his hand." André Breton (Le surréalisme et la peinture, Nouvelle édition revue et corrigée, 1928-1965, Paris, Gallimard, 1965, pp.308-312).
- Alain Jouffroy, « La collection André Breton », In : L'oeil, n° 10, octobre 1955, rep. p. 33, pp.32-39
- André Breton (par) avec le concours de Gérard Legrand, L'art magique, Paris, Formes et reflets, Club français de l'art, 1957, rep.s.p.
- André Breton, Le surréalisme et la peinture, Nouvelle édition revue et corrigée, 1928-1965, Paris, Gallimard, 1965, rep.p.311, pp.312
- José Pierre, L'univers surréaliste, Paris, Somogy, 1983, rep.p.85
- Paris, Musée national d'art moderne/Centre Georges Pompidou, André Breton, La Beauté convulsive, 1991, rep. p. 396
- Surrealismo e novo mundo, Rio Grande do Sul, Editora da Universidade, 1999, rep.p.209
|Physical description||51 x 70 cm (20 x 27 1/2 in.) - Huile sur carton, sd|
|From / Provenance||Acquis à Haïti en 1946|
|Breton Auction, 2003||Lot 4013|
|Keywords||Art Brut or naive, Painting|
|Set||[Exhibitions] 1991, boîte archives bleue, Beaubourg|