Variétés - Surrealism in 1929
Illustrated monthly review of Contemporary Zeitgeist
Person cited MusidoraContributions by Louis Aragon, Sigmund Freud, Frédéric Mégret, Paul Nougé, Georges Sadoul, André Thirion, Pierre Unik, Albert Valentin, André Breton, René Crevel, Robert Desnos, Paul Éluard, Édouard-Léon-Théodore Mesens, Benjamin Péret, Raymond QueneauEdited by Paul Gustave van Hecke
The monthly review Variétés published in Brussels in June 1929 dedicates this special issue to Surrealism.
Special issue of the review Variétés dedicated to Surrealism in 1929 et composed by André Breton and Louis Aragon. Texts by Freud, Éluard, Péret, Nouvel, Nougé, Desnos, Breton, Aragon, etc. Illustrations of Ernst, Tanguy, Man Ray, Picabia, Magritte, etc.
To this copy is joined:
- A handwritten manuscript signed by René Crevel: “When writing breaks loose” (7 pages in-4°).
- A handwritten manuscript signed by Raymond Queneau (5 pages in-4°).
- A handwritten manuscript signed by Paul Éluard “Primitive Art” (3 pages in-4°).
- A handwritten manuscript by Benjamin Péret “Fake vegetation” with a title written by Breton (3 pages in-4°).
- An original photograph showing Aragon and Breton’s theater play “The Jesuit’s Treasure” performed in Prague, with stage direction by Styrsky (13x18cm).
- An original photograph showing Musidora in this play, along with an original period print by Henri Manuel showing Musidora laying down in the same costume as the former photo; the photograph is signed on the back by Musidora.
- A handwritten letter by Paul Nougé, signed, 3 pages in-12 with the envelope. “Nadja moved me to the point that I thought it was right to postpone writing to you. [...] You occupy a prominent place in my life my dear Breton and I should be desperate if you doubted my sentiments.”
- A handwritten letter dated December 23rd, 1932 and signed with ink by Paul Nougé (draft of this thank-you letter), 2 pages in-12, envelope preserved. [Auction catalogue, 2003]
On the cover is a photograph of a found object from Yves Tanguy (courtesy Galerie 1900-2000). The photograph has not been found. [Marcel Fleiss, 2018]
Lire ce livre
Bruxelles, 1929, in-8°. couv. illustrée, broché.
|Date of publication||01/06/1929|
|Breton Auction, 2003||Lot 1140|
|Keywords||Letter, Painting, Photography, Politics, Poetry, Psychoanalysis, Reviews and Journals, Surrealism|